- 2lbs potatoes, peeled
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup olive oil
You’ll also need a box grater to shred the potatoes
- In a large pan filled with cold water, place potatoes. The water should cover the potatoes by about 1 inch.
- Bring to a boil and cook until parboiled, about 6 to 7 minutes.
- Drain water and let potatoes cool
- Once cooled but still warm, use a box grater to finely shred the potatoes.
- In a large bowl, add the shredded potatoes and stir in the flour, garlic powder, onion, salt and pepper. The mixture should be workable but dry.
- Form the mixture into tots.
- In a large stockpot, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add tater tots to the skillet, a few at a time, and cook until evenly golden and crispy, roughly 3 to 4 minutes.
- Transfer tater tots to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Serve immediately or transfer cooled tater tots to an airtight container and freeze. Freeze up to a month.
If you freeze your tator tots and wish to eat them later, bake them in the oven at 400F for 15 to 17 minutes.