Here in Michigan, winter has reminded us that it is still in control. With snow-covered grounds, it feels like spring is forever away despite being just around the corner.
Still, I have been eager to start preparing my nursery for the seedlings that will be arriving next month.
I’ve been collecting odd items over the last month or so that would make suitable containers. So far, I’ve collected pop bottles, single serve cereal containers, and a variety of plastic cups.
To make sure no soil containments or diseases survived from last year’s plants, I thoroughly washed the containers with very hot water and soap. Twice.
After a similar process with the new containers, I drilled four holes into the bottoms with a medium sized drill bit for water drainage.
This system has worked fairly well for me in the past, although I did have to make some adjusts to the size hole on some of my older containers. The water wasn’t able to drain as well as I liked.